Alamo Stadium, constructed by Works Progress Administration workers in 1940, and the adjoining gymnasium built in 1949 (known today as the Alamo Convocation Center), were built to address the needs of San Antonio's growing student population during the Depression and post-World War II era. Construction of the stadium culminated a community discussion that began in 1921 about where and how a public stadium could be built. Through the efforts of congressman (and later mayor) Maury Maverick, Governor W. Lee O'Daniel, Board of Education president Dr. James Hollers, local, regional and national WPA officials, and local sports enthusiasts, federal, state and local funding was secured for the $477,000 project. Built of native stone from its quarry site, the stadium is decorated with tile murals produced by the local WPA Arts and Crafts Division under the direction of Ethel Wilson Harris. Additional WPA funding extended and/or upgraded surrounding streets and landscaped the commanding site overlooking the San Antonio skyline.
Alamo Stadium is nominated to the National Register of Historic Places under Criterion A in the area of Entertainment/Recreation at the local level of significance for its role in support of local and regional sports. It is also nominated under Criterion C in the area of Architecture at the state level of significance as an outstanding example of rustic Art Modern institutional design of the New Deal Era, as an excellent (and largest in Texas) example of a high school football stadium, and for its design, which is dependent on its siting in an abandoned rock quarry. It is also nominated at the state level of significance in the area of Art for its display of large tile murals designed by Mission Crafts at the San Jose Mission, headed by Ethel Wilson Harris. The murals depict scenes of life and culture (including sports) in San Antonio, and are the largest extant works by the Harris company.